"aklan state university's humble beginnings...
The Aklan State University (ASU) is considered as one of the institutions of learning in Western Visayas. It started as the Banga Intermediate School in 1917 through a resolution passed by the Provincial Board headed by Governor Simeon Mobo. The school became a farm school with the conversion of the Banga Intermediate School into the Capiz Farm School (Aklan being a part of Capiz then), which was formally opened in June 1918.
As the enrollment increased considerably, the school was converted into a secondary rural school in 1928 and was named the Banga Rural High School. Through Republic Act No. 3439 authored by Congressman Jose B. Legaspi, the Banga Rural High School was named the Aklan Agricultural College (AAC) in 1963.
A two-year technical course was first offered. Subsequently, the college was permitted to offer Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSA) program, with Agronomy and Animal Husbandry as major fields on May 19, 1966. In the seventies, the College further strengthened its instruction program and continued to expand its higher education services by offering other baccalaureate courses. In addition, it offered graduate and post graduate programs to cater to the needs of professionals who seek for career and intellectual advancement.
Having met the standards and requirements of an agricultural state college, the Aklan Agricultural College was converted into the Aklan State College of Agriculture (ASCA) on April 10, 1992 by virtue of Republic Act No. 7371, which was sponsored by Congressman Ramon B. Legaspi Sr. Pursuant to pertinent provisions of R.A. 7722, and R.A. 8292, as well as R.A. 8745 or the General Appropriations Act of 1999, four (4) CHED-supervised institutions were integrated to ASCA in 1999. These were the Roxas Memorial College of Arts and Trades (RMCAT) in Kalibo; the Aklan National College of Fisheries (ANCF) in New Washington; the Northern Panay Teachers College (NPTC) in Makato; and the Western Aklan Polytechnic College (WAPC) in Ibajay. But better things came for ASCA.
The consolidated version of House Bill 1548 authored by Congressman Allen S. Quimpo and Senate Bill 2236 were passed on final reading on February 5, 2001, and on January 29, 2001, respectively. On April 4, 2001, R.A. 9055 entitled "An Act Converting the Aklan State College of Agriculture in the Municipality of Banga, Province of Aklan into a State University to be known as the Aklan State University, appropriating Funds Therefore and for Other Purposes" was finally signed into law by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo which elevated the former ASCA to Aklan State University (ASU). Today, the School where "boys love to work, and pretty girls sing, cook and dance" has gone a long way from its obscurity in the good all days to its present national prominence.
events and updates
READ: ASU’s natural fibers center passes PhilFIDA inspection The Philippine Fiber Industry Development Authority (PhilFIDA) Regulatory Unit with PhilFIDA National and Regional Satellite Office VI
CAFES holds first province-wide Natural Fibers Stakeholders’ Forum To discuss current and future trends for Aklan natural fibers, Aklan State University through the College
Conference-Workshop on Harmonizing Monitoring and Reporting of SUC Physical Performance This activity was conducted by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) VI in partnership
Aklan State University – Ibajay Campus is in need of Contract of Service Instructor for 2nd A.Y. 2022-2023 with this specialization: 1 Computer Science Interested
ASU ranks 95th, 11 faculty make it in 2023 AD Scientific Ranking PH The Aklan State University (ASU) ranked 95th among the 264 universities in