"aklan state university's humble beginnings...
The Aklan State University (ASU) is considered as one of the institutions of learning in Western Visayas. It started as the Banga Intermediate School in 1917 through a resolution passed by the Provincial Board headed by Governor Simeon Mobo. The school became a farm school with the conversion of the Banga Intermediate School into the Capiz Farm School (Aklan being a part of Capiz then), which was formally opened in June 1918.
As the enrollment increased considerably, the school was converted into a secondary rural school in 1928 and was named the Banga Rural High School. Through Republic Act No. 3439 authored by Congressman Jose B. Legaspi, the Banga Rural High School was named the Aklan Agricultural College (AAC) in 1963.
A two-year technical course was first offered. Subsequently, the college was permitted to offer Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BSA) program, with Agronomy and Animal Husbandry as major fields on May 19, 1966. In the seventies, the College further strengthened its instruction program and continued to expand its higher education services by offering other baccalaureate courses. In addition, it offered graduate and post graduate programs to cater to the needs of professionals who seek for career and intellectual advancement.
Having met the standards and requirements of an agricultural state college, the Aklan Agricultural College was converted into the Aklan State College of Agriculture (ASCA) on April 10, 1992 by virtue of Republic Act No. 7371, which was sponsored by Congressman Ramon B. Legaspi Sr. Pursuant to pertinent provisions of R.A. 7722, and R.A. 8292, as well as R.A. 8745 or the General Appropriations Act of 1999, four (4) CHED-supervised institutions were integrated to ASCA in 1999. These were the Roxas Memorial College of Arts and Trades (RMCAT) in Kalibo; the Aklan National College of Fisheries (ANCF) in New Washington; the Northern Panay Teachers College (NPTC) in Makato; and the Western Aklan Polytechnic College (WAPC) in Ibajay. But better things came for ASCA.
The consolidated version of House Bill 1548 authored by Congressman Allen S. Quimpo and Senate Bill 2236 were passed on final reading on February 5, 2001, and on January 29, 2001, respectively. On April 4, 2001, R.A. 9055 entitled "An Act Converting the Aklan State College of Agriculture in the Municipality of Banga, Province of Aklan into a State University to be known as the Aklan State University, appropriating Funds Therefore and for Other Purposes" was finally signed into law by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo which elevated the former ASCA to Aklan State University (ASU). Today, the School where "boys love to work, and pretty girls sing, cook and dance" has gone a long way from its obscurity in the good all days to its present national prominence.
events and updates
ASU ranks 95th, 11 faculty make it in 2023 AD Scientific Ranking PH
ASU ranks 95th, 11 faculty make it in 2023 AD Scientific Ranking PH The Aklan State University (ASU) ranked 95th among the 264 universities in
Investiture of Emily M. Arangote, PhD as 4th University President
Investiture of Emily M. Arangote, PhD as 4th University President Aklan State University formally installed Dr. Emily M. Arangote as the fourth University President on
JUST IN: ASU wins Best FOI Officer
JUST IN: ASU wins Best FOI Officer Aklan State University took home two awards in the Search for Best Freedom of Information (FOI) Program Implementer
OMSC benchmarks at ASU
OMSC benchmarks at ASU a Occidental Mindoro State College President, Dr. Elbert C. Edaniol together with his staff visited the ASU Office of the President